This recipe yields 15 buffet servings; double as needed!
5 pounds of potatoes (Yukon Gold or red-skinned)
½ cup butter
1 ½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
1 cup warm whole milk (Microwave about 2 min. Don’t skip this step; you will always need more than 1 cup milk!)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup heavy cream, whipped
Peel and dice potatoes; boil until tender in lightly salted water.
Add about 2tsp of white vinegar to the water to make the potatoes very white.
Drain potatoes and combine with butter, salt, pepper and milk in large bowl of electric mixer; beat until smooth and creamy.
Check seasonings; turn into buttered shallow casserole.
Fold cheese into whipped cream and spread over potatoes.
Bake at 350 F for about 30 minutes, until golden brown and heated through.
Potatoes may be prepared ahead of time…the topping added just before baking!
1. It may take more milk to get the right creaminess. It’s never taken less! Potatoes vary in texture, moisture content etc. so make adjustments as needed. (Warm milk for best results)
2. Taste to be sure there’s enough salt and pepper.
3. You can make the potato casserole a day ahead (including the topping) and refrigerate.
4. Important: Bring to room temp before baking!
5. Two recipes (5 pounds of potatoes per recipe) is plenty for a gathering of 30 people!