Nitrous Oxide (Laughing Gas)
We offer nitrous oxide (laughing gas) to help patients relax. It is a sweet-smelling, colorless blend of oxygen and nitrous oxide gases that can create feelings of well-being and tranquility when inhaled. Some patients even describe a sense of floating or giddiness, which is why it is called “laughing gas.” Nitrous oxide is administered through a little cone that sits on your nose, and we have special equipment to monitor and adjust the proportion and flow rate of laughing gas released. This equipment is regularly checked and calibrated, and nitrous oxide is administered by specifically trained staff.
This safe and easy dental sedation option helps many patients feel comfortable during treatment, especially children and adolescents who experience dental anxiety. Nitrous oxide has been found helpful for patients who have a strong enough gag reflex to interfere with dental treatment, and it can also make dental visits easier for patients with mental or physical impairments. Normal breathing of pure oxygen for several minutes after treatment completely reverses the effects of nitrous oxide, so you will feel like yourself again in no time and be able to resume your regular daily activities.
Advantages of Nitrous Oxide:
- Nitrous oxide is probably the safest of all anesthetics used in dentistry.
- It has very few side effects or risks.
- Patients remain fully conscious during treatment.
- Receiving nitrous oxide is painless, involving no more than a small mask over the nose.
- Pleasant feelings of calmness are felt almost immediately.
- After treatment, the effects of nitrous oxide are quickly reversed